Monday, July 11, 2005

WGPBE Asks For Your Advice

Jim: Honesty, now- Honestly, would you have passed up sex with Nadia?
Jim's Dad: Why? Did she say something?
Jim: Hypothetically, Dad.
Jim's Dad: Oh, hypothetically. Well, I mean, you know, Jim, I'm a married man. I'm...
Jim: If-If-If you weren't married.
Jim's Dad: She's a college girl.
Jim: If you were a college guy.
Jim's Dad: In a heartbeat. Oh yeah.
”American Pie 3 – American Wedding”


I’m not quitting online poker or blogging just yet, thought I’d say that straight up.

Without trying to create too much drama, my horror run at the tables has continued. Just awful it was, and another $100+ lesson was had, although I’m nto too sure what exactly I learned from it. I had AJ beaten by J6 on a flop of J59 rainbow, turn 7 river 8. But enough of hand histories already…

What I did next was take stock of what has happened lately. When I went into Noble poker I had $280. I cashed out at $435 total. I put $200 into Paradise Poker and took $171 out, but collected a $60 bonus through Poker Source Online that makes it worth it I think, but leaves me with US$412, or just over $500 Australian.

I took another read of Doyle’s book of poker wisdom, and have read a lot of archives of other blogs in recent times. Doyle says something along the lines of most players “get broke” at some stage, and I know of many bloggers who have experienced the same feeling. Well, allow me to be the first person to “get broke” when they still have money. I have looked over the last few sessions and decided that I should adopt the viewpoint that I have gone bust. Even though I still have some money invested in online adventures, and I never deposited a cent of my own, I need to change my outlook. Once again I re-enforce, I have “got broke”.

My final play at the tables was, to put it bluntly, boring. My attitude was all wrong, I was distracted by anything else in the room, I wasn’t taking any notice of any of the other players betting patterns, I may as well have been playing the lottery. Loosing at online poker isn’t fun.

So what do you do about it? Especially since in 2 weeks time this here blog will be 1 year old. I guess you could say it has teething problems. Loosing at online poker is not fun, but I have had a great time loosing at B&M poker in the past. Sure, I never lost more than $30, but it was still great fun. There is one full time poker room in Sydney that I know of, and it is a fair drive from my house but what if I gave it a shot? What if I cashed out what I have left online and made myself a B&M player exclusively? Well, not exclusively, I’ll still play the odd MTT and free-rolls. But if I put one or two nights a week into the poker room until I make a decent profit or get broke for real, what harm could it do? If I loose my entire bank roll, then I will go back to square one. If I make some money, then all is well in the land of Heafy!

I’m not going to quit my day job for it of course, that would just be stupid. I have neither the skill nor the temperament to manage that life change at the moment.

I am 99% sure I am going to give this a try – oh, and for the Australian readers out there I am not going to be playing at Star City – I was talking about the APA. I may stick around online for the next month or so, try and clear one more PSO bonus and such, but I am pretty excited about the prospect. It will mean the end of multi-tabling (even though I could only ever manage 2 anyway), the end of 50 hands per hour games, and add a much-needed social element to the game that I love. Hey, if I am out classed and go bust within 2 visits, at least I won’t die wondering.

Which brings me along to my next venture – Poker On Film’s 1st birthday which as I said is coming along later this month. I am very surprised I stuck with it for a full year, and I’m glad I did. My interest in poker has not disappeared, and is in fact growing despite recent ugly sessions. As I have said in previous posts, I am looking to run a tournament online to celebrate one year of the site, but also just so I have a chance to play in a blogger tournament since they are all usually set on a Sunday when I have no chance to do so. I have sent as email to a small number of bloggers out there asking for advice on the tournament and if they think it is a good idea, and I would hope they don’t see the email as spam or a lame attempt to get recognition on their blogs. I am just hoping to run this tournament right so that it is as good as it can be for everyone.

Which brings me to this, the major question I asked. Which day would be better for my American friends – a Friday night game or a Saturday night game? I can’t do Sunday nights because that means Monday morning here in Australia, and I have to be at work. I can’t really call in sick to play poker – at least not again. I don’t hit a bad beat jackpot every time I try it. Please post your comments and thoughts below, I would greatly appreciate it.

Also it would be amiss of me not to mention the ulterior motives I reserve for holding the tournament – which I will be calling the “Heafy Honeymoon Classic”. Yep, I want to get some help to fund the wedding. As recent readers of the blog would be aware, the wedding-bill curse and fully set in and I am feeling the pinch. I know this is quite a pathetic excuse to try to raise money when plenty of other more deserving people are in far worse positions, but I’m doing what I can anyway. I don’t have the final details of the tournament yet, only that it will be more than likely a $20 buy-in (unless I can be convinced otherwise) and I will be trying my best to get as many referrals to the site as I can for it. I’m also thinking that if I get 30 referrals, I will add $1000 to the prize pool to share the love. But don’t think about that just yet – just let me know, Friday night or Saturday night?

And thank you in advance to those people I emailed, I hope it didn’t come across as too self-serving. And I didn't cut and paste the same letter for all of you...I accidently deleted it before I could.

No comments: