Monday, February 06, 2006

The Order Of The Phoenix

Elder Water God: The fate of the universe will be decided as it should be...
Elder Fire God: ...in MORTAL KOMBAT!
"Mortal Kombat – Annihilation”

Every now and then a movie comes along that is so bad it makes you laugh. Late last night, that movie was MK2. I’d seen it years ago, but only last night did it really get me chuckling. The real reason I include the quote here is because reading through the trivia at IMDB just before, I found that Tony Jaa did some of the stunt work on this film. Tony Jaa is the new Jackie Chan/ Jet Li from Thailand. I’ve seen two of his movies in Ong Bak and Tom Yum Goong. Both were in Thai with very poor English subtitles so I have only a vague idea about the story line – not that it is overly important. Some guy steals something form him, and he goes off to get it back while kicking multiple ass. His stunts, all done without wires, are unbelievable. The chase scene in Ong Bak and the fight scene with the Capoeira guy are awesome. In Ton Yum Goong there is one single take that is about 10 minutes in length of him fighting up these stairs – fantastic! Anyways, keep an eye out for these movies if you are into the whole Martial Arts thing, there are brilliant!

I had an awesome weekend, but very poor when it came to poker.

In a MTT on Full Tilt (easily my favourite online poker room), out of the 260 entrants I was sitting comfortably in 3 out of the 68 left. I had been in the top three for the last 40 minutes or so. Two hands later I was out in 67th. Yeah, and it was my fault.

I had been the chip leader at my table since I moved there, and it was getting to the stage where I was just waiting for hands to pick people off. I folded for about 4 orbits getting nothing but 62o and the like, when I finally got The Hiltons – and someone else has the rockets. I should have been able to lay it down post-flop, but I didn’t and I paid the price. The next hand I had KQo on a Queen high flop, and I push only to get called twice by KK and AKc with two clubs on the board. So I go from 3rd to out by running into AA and KK on consecutive hands. Such is life I guess. I could have got away from the QQ hand but didn’t, and that sort of forced me into the next hand.

We also had a couple of live games over the weekend, and without a doubt it was one of the most brutal nights for river beats I have ever seen, and everyone at the game agreed. Even the distraction, who came along for the ride for this one, could not believe it all.

It all started with one player, later named “Phoenix” (after River Phoenix, get it? Gold I tell you, gold!), who hit in consecutive hands runner-runner straight (which he didn’t even realise), flush, straight and then hit his set on the river. Only the last one was against me, all the others were against the same player who was out not long afterwards.

And then everyone else starts to get into it. The first two guys that get knocked out start playing heads up at a different table, and when I was knocked out I went to watch a few hands – the first hand I saw went like this.

Flop is Jh6h4h, and player one goes all-in. Player two calls instantly and shows KhQh. Player one meekly rolls over JTo. Turn is a ten, river is a ten.

The first game got down to the final 4, with the top three paying. I was second in chips, and the CL leader had more than double what I had. We had two small stacks that just would not go away. Eventually the CL went out in forth. Then me in third. It was that kind of night.

So I finished third and 5th out of the 8 runners. How did my fair distraction go in these games? 2nd and 2nd.

Lucky she was there, it was the only chance at profit we had!

2 comments:

phat said...

eggg

check out my newbie poker blog. It's really uninteresting for players of your calibre.

http://humanaut.blogspot.com

cheers
jodm@SA.

skitch said...

Spent many-a quarter playing Street Fighter 2 and Mortal Kombat. Even skipped a few classes with friends to go to the nearby bowling alley to work on our FATALITIES!

I remember being disappointed by the Van Damme Street Fighter movie, and having little to no hopes for the Mortal Kombat movie.

I was happily proven wrong.

Seeing Scorpion and Subzero come to life being the bad-ass ninjas that they were, awesome rocking soundtrack to go along with the phenomenal fight scenes. I saw MK 3 times on opening day.

Mortal Kombat 2 was a complete and utter joke. :(

You got a thing for Thailand, huh? Being born there myself, I have a bit of kickboxing blood in me, but I actually trained in Capoeira for a few years. Love seeing any movie with a Capoeirista (Only the Strong, The Quest) and realy looking forward to seeing more Tony Jaa after the rockin' Ong Bak! Though I must say the Tuk-tuk car-chase scene was a bit ridiculous! :)