Tuesday, April 24, 2007

Funniest Bad Beat Ever

BR: People, what is going on out there? I look down this table, all I see are white flags. Our numbers are down all across the board. Teen smoking, our bread and butter, is falling like a shit from heaven! We don't sell Tic Tacs for Christ's sake. We sell cigarettes. And they're cool and available and addictive. The job is almost done for us!
"Thank You For Smoking"

I see that the movie "Hot Fuzz" just opening in the US this past weekend, and people are saying about the bad timing it had – in the fact that it provides parody for some of the gun culture and love in action flicks. People, that is not a reason to miss this movie. This is one of the best comedies I have seen for a very long time. If anything, current events should make the themes of this movie more prevalent and hopefully meaningful.

Besides all that, it's just damn funny.

We all hate bad beat stories right? Well I've got a fantastic one, one where I not only lost the pot but had to laugh about it because it was so bad. It's a short story, so just listen and stop rolling your eyes.

I'm down a buy in or two and not having much luck. I have A6d, and see a two diamond flop, King high. First to act bets, short stack pushes all-in. I have to think and eventually call and everyone else folds. Before we flip the cards over, the short stack (usually tight player) says "Want to run it twice?". Now I am running terribly, and am on just a flush draw. I figure running it twice is a great idea. When he flips over 78d, I think it is even better. There is no straight draw, so I am in a pretty good decision. Even better when the player to my right says he folded a seven.

Quick analysis, I am ahead with just an Ace which was a surprise, but now he has 6 outs (well, 5 when you include the already dead 7). We are running it twice though, so I am happy enough with a split.

First time, the board shows no diamonds and comes 7, 5. Damn, lost that one but at least we get to go again. Second time around, no diamonds and it comes Queen, 8. What the hell? How could I loose this bastard twice?

All I could do was laugh.

I wasn't playing great early in the game on Friday night, and this was my third or fourth buy in at this stage. I went into my fourth buy in before I won a pot over $10. Wasn't a good night for my hands I guess. I did finally get lucky flopping a straight against a small stack and then flopping a full house against another in consecutive hands which gave me one of my buy-ins back. As people left the game and the numbers got smaller, I started to win a few hands and really earned some pots.

My commitment to mucking un-called hands has started to pay dividends, which should be no real surprise. Because it is a friendly home game, you tend to show your hands after you win the pot, regardless of which street. I was doing this pretty much 99% of the time. That, along with my well publicized "Super Laydowns™" give me the tight image I so richly deserve. Finally, I was able to use it to my advantage and I don't think anyone really suspected that I was bluffing as much as I was. It was a welcomed change and was really the reason why I ended the night in profit after being down a long way.

Online? Well, I only played one SNG over the weekend as we had a very busy social life for a change. I lost nearly all of my stack with AQ on a A55 flop with 2 people behind me. I bet out, 2nd raised and third called. Not wanting this to go any further, I re-raised all-in and got called twice by AQ and AK. Yeah, not the best move but I thought I was against a weaker ace and a flush draw, in the end I have 2 outs for a split that didn't come. Next hand I went all in with A2 and got called by KK. Such is life I guess.

This week though is ANZAC day, which means mid-week home game. I'm really looking forward to it and the itch has already started.

No comments: