Monday, June 04, 2007

Back To UB

Blade: You better wake up. The world you live in is just a sugar-coated topping! There is another world beneath it - the real world. And if you want to survive it, you better learn to pull the trigger!
"Blade"

I have been spending my online poker time in the past week at Ultimate Bet, just for the change of scenery. I played there a few years ago when I was going through a Poker Source Online promotion, and I recall having a really good run on the SNG's there at the time. In the past week I have had a good run, with the cards being not too nasty and I've been making some calls that I usually wouldn't make. I think perhaps I've made some moves at the right times too, which has helped.

But what I have become addicted to is the Blackjack SNG's. I only play in the $1 tournaments, but I have been having a great time while basically breaking even. I did see half an episode of the televised Ultimate Blackjack and I thought it was quite silly, but after playing one I found myself mildly amused by them and kept going. I've played maybe 15 and have won a couple, but it is interesting to try to figure out what tactics you can employ and when, considering the massive amounts of luck that are involved in the whole situation.

Live games are going to become very rare in the coming weeks, as the Distraction has me booked solid for various things. We had to bail out of a friend's birthday party last week due to an injury I sustained and the delivery of a new bed for the spare room – preparation for the arrival of more in-laws in the coming months. More fun to follow, that is certain!

I am also being dragged along to a pre-screening of the new movie "Knocked Up", which I understand opens in the US this week (not here for another month). The trailer for this film had me sold in the first 5 seconds with the first joke, and that was it – it looks like another easy chick flick that you won't be ashamed to watch with your significant other. I can't give you a full report on the movie as yet (though initial reviews look good), because when we went to the cinema last week for the pre-screening, tickets in hand and everything, we found out we were a little early. About 4 weeks early in fact. Oh well, what can you do but turn around and go home and watch DVD's.

Speaking of which, since the big release season has been disappointing so far (Ocean's 13 can save it for me), the Distraction and I have been going through some of the DVD collection. We have now watched the entire run of Red Dwarf on DVD (save for a few episodes that were on a disc I seem to have lost from series 7) and have now started again on Law and Order: CI. I love that show, and hope more of the seasons become available on DVD soon. Like going back to old friend's, this may soon become a thing of the past as finally, it has been announced that TiVo is coming to Australia. Albeit in 2008, and it may only be supporting one network at this stage, but it is a start.

1 comment:

DuggleBogey said...

Red Dwarf is excellent, I watched it straight through season six before season seven was released. I have season seven but haven't gotten in the correct frame of mind to watch yet.

L&O CI is great, but I only prefer the ones with Vincent D'Onofrio in them.