Tuesday, May 03, 2005

Micro-Master

Chili Palmer: Whew, this movie business is tough. I might just have to go back to loan-sharking for a while to get some vacation.
”Get Shorty”

What always springs to mind for me about that movie is when I first heard about it. I was in the Gold Coast in Queensland, and Dad and I went to a baseball game between Gold Coast and Adelaide – it was a double header. They had a big promo night on for that movie and the guy over the PA kept mentioning it every five minutes. What was funny about the game was the pitcher for the Gold Coast team in the second game. I had no idea who any of the players were, but this guy had apparently just signed a deal with Boston and was off to their training in a few weeks. They really hyped the guy up, which means you know exactly what is going to happen next. Back-to-back home runs, plus another 4 runs and he doesn’t see the third inning. I got a laugh out of it.

Back to the tables last night, I had a 20BB session in under 20 minutes. It was on the $0.05/$0.10 tables, but that doesn’t matter.

For some reason, I felt like playing Omaha Hi and as usual there were no games available at Noble poker, except for one sorry soul sitting all alone at the above-mentioned pot-limit table. I bought in for the maximum $5, and he sat down with $1. In 9 hands he was empty. He dragged one pot, where I limped from the big blind and dropped it on the flop. I was getting nice cards and hitting, what else can you do? I think he tried to push me off one pot that I flopped quad Jacks. That kinda hurt him, as much as loosing 35 cents can. I figured that was a great bit of fun for $1, lets find a real game. But then another punter sat down and bought in for the minimum $1. Lets go again, and this time holding AQxx, I see a flop of AQx. I managed to get him all-in, and he hit runner-runner for the straight to bring him back to even.

A few hands later, I have the nut-flush draw and top pair, and he goes all-in. I call and see he has top two pair. I hit runner-runner for a straight this time and he says good bye.

What was weird is that I won $2 at micro-limit tables and loved it. My biggest wins ever have been just over $100 and I felt disappointed by those – because it should/could have been more. I don’t know if this is a good thing or not. I was just happy to be winning with good play at these pathetic levels. Afterwards when the “chips” become “cash”, obviously the other win is far more satisfying.

Now lets not get too carried away – I won 20 hands or so at the lowest limit against players who more than likely know nothing about Omaha. I got good cards and won. Why does this micro-session stand out for me when compared to the last few months? I guess because I won every cent that was available, and it was just down right fun.

It was good to be playing poker.

No comments: