Thursday, September 29, 2005

I Love Free Stuff

Ordell Robbie: AK-47. When you absolutely, positively got to kill every motherfucker in the room, accept no substitutes.
”Jackie Brown”

Why does poker as a pastime attract me more than, say for example, dungeons and dragons, monopoly or chess? Because I have always had a love of the 52 little pieces of plastic playing cards, and I can win stuff playing poker! Not that you can’t win stuff playing monopoly or any other of the other games, but in poker EVERYBODY can get free shit, just for playing! And as I have said many times before (and will say many times more) I love getting free shit.

Which is another reason I am so grateful for the help from fellow bloggers, and once again I give props to Duggle Bogey for turning me on to PSO. It’s like double dipping for deposit bonus’, and I love it. To date I have received the following items for free (actually, while making a profit I received these items) from poker source online (and Amazon vouchers from the same):

2 decks of KEM cards
2 decks of Copag cards
WSOP 2003 DVD
WPT Season 2 DVD set
Best of Triumph the Insult Comic Dog DVD
“Death of WCW” book.
Chappelle Show season 1 and 2 box sets
“The Professor, the banker and the suicide king” book
“It Aint Easy Bein Me” Rodney Dangerfield’s autobiography.

Not a bad effort for a lower than average poker player, and I repeat I was actually turning a profit while all this was going on (a very small one, but a profit none the less). Why bring this up now? Well, I am about 20 minutes playing time away from clearing another bonus promotion at Titan Poker through PSO which will net me a total of $180 to spend at Amazon, which is more like $140 when you include postage.

I’m not big on shopping, and I despise shopping malls and their crowds. I’m a “use it till it’s broken” kind of guy. Most of my favourite articles of clothing have holes all through them, and for good reason. If I have to buy something new, I get it grab it and get out. Anything else could be a waste of time and potentially incur further spending.

But you see, this $180 has to be spent. It’s not like the vouchers will be worth me in time (quite the opposite), so I have an obligation to spend this money, and what with the wedding and honeymoon just a few weeks away spending money is tight so this is a real treat. $180 that I can go nuts with! Sure, it’s not exactly a big screen TV or a new car or anything, but it is just great fun buying crap that I don’t have to pay for. A whole new swag, that includes 3 shirts, 1 pair of shorts, and 3 DVD sets, will be delivered to my door in about a months time (damn overseas shipping!) and I am not out of pocket for any of it!

I can’t even remember how the games went at the tables last night – but I do remember I was down about $5 all up. Just going through all the options for the $180 and picking everything out, especially like I said how tight money is at the moment, put me in a really good mood and I felt like sharing. Cheerio!

1 comment:

DuggleBogey said...

I have yet to refer someone to PSO who hasn't been very happy with the experience. I'm glad to hear that even you, with the exorbitant shipping expenses, have gotten a lot out of what you earned at PSO.

I know I pimp PSO a lot in my blog, and people probably think I do it so I can get money. The real reason I do it is because it is a great way for poker players to get free stuff, and who doesn't love free stuff?