Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Play The Game

Steve Lattimer: I don't know, its the battle, the going to war with the other guys, hanging together, having our own dorm, staying in hotels the night before the games, setting ourselves apart, being different than everybody else, having a chance to be somebody, to do something that people look up to you for, your strength, your courage, not everybody can play football... we're the lucky ones
"The Program"

I was watching the end of season 3 of Deadwood the other night – did anyone else think it kind of ended with a whimper instead of a bang? As always the story was very interesting, but I think the way they teased for this big gun fight and then in the end it never came sort of left me a little disappointed. Never mind, when the series wraps up I'm sure I will be satisfied.

I haven't played online poker in over a week, due to other things and what not. But I have set up a number of friends from the home games with online poker accounts. I forgot how hard it was to get started, and get used to the differences with online poker compared to the real world. At the moment, even though I rarely play there myself and I abhor the software and sounds of the room, Pacific Poker is offering one hell of a deal for referrals. If you have never played there and feel like a free start at a poker room, drop me an email and I can help (or just click the link on the side, but you would rather email me, wouldn't you?) But hurry, this offer ends this year when it becomes far less lucrative.

Had a profitable home game on the weekend, if only just. On the night I was a bit unlucky as I had 4 pocket pairs all night, three of them hit sets and all three of those lost to a flush or straight. Just never really got going, and then I made two calls when I knew I was beaten but just couldn't lay down my full house. On the second last hand of the night, I decided to gamble to get back to even or bust out, and I managed a massive suck out with AcJs vs AdJd. It was the spades that helped me get back to even.

All night there was horrific river beats, which allowed one player to go up 5 buy ins early, and another go down a little more. By the end of the night, their roles and results had reversed. It was just that kind of night. I walked out with more money than I walked in with, so I guess I can't complain with that.

Been toying with the idea of trying a few satellites to the Aussie Millions. I know my chances of winning a satellite, let alone finishing in the money at the real thing, are slim, but in the end if you want to make the big money you have got to play the game. You can't just sit back and wait for someone to come knocking on the door and offer you a free seat at the final table – I don't think it works like that. So what if it is a longshot, right? The worst that can happen is not such a big loss, and the potential gain is comforting. I may invest a buy in or two to see what it is like at least.

Yeah, I don't think I have ever played a satellite of any description before, for any tournament live or online. Wonder how it will all end…

No comments: