Tuesday, June 27, 2006

Still Slumping

The Operative : That girl will rain destruction down on you and your ship. She is an albatross, Captain.
Capt. Malcolm Reynolds: Way I remember it, albatross was a ship's good luck, 'til some idiot killed it.
"Serenity"

Last night we had a chance to sneak down to the new cinemas that have just opened near our place. It's a big redevelopment in the massive shopping mall just two blocks from our place. The old cinemas here were pretty ordinary and we wanted to see what the new ones were like. In short, brilliant. We saw the new Adam Sandler movie "Click", and it was good but frustrating in a way. There are funny bits, but most of them are in no relation to the main story line. The last half of the movie, which every critic and his dog are relating to "It's A Wonderful Life" is actually very touching, and I thought it was well done. If they went this way from the start this could have been a great movie. Never the less, I don't regret forking over my hard earned and two hours of my life for this movie, which is about as good as you can hope for these days.

I'm glad that I enjoyed the movie, because poker sucks at the moment. The live game on Friday night was my biggest down night in history, and the main culprit was pocket kings again. In total, I have lost nearly $900 at this table with pocket kings. The short of it this time around was a three-way all in with the flop showing 433. One player had 44 and the other had KK, so we are both drawing dead to running 3's. I won one more pot for the night, when I had KK and got the blinds. It was a terrible night of cards that missed every flop, not much I could do about it really. Or at least, that is what I am telling myself.

Online hasn't been much better, and I continue to make just below break even sessions (thanks to bonus', otherwise it would be even worse). I even managed to take down a Omaha Hi/Lo SNG the other night, and I felt in control for the entire tournament. Perhaps it was just a matter of the others not knowing what to do properly, but either way the small win put me in a much better mood.

I've finished playing Pirates: live the life. After reading many reviews of the game and all favourable, it sounded pretty good and I'm always a fan of the open ended genre. But to be honest, I wasn't that impressed by the game. I never played the originals, so this was the first Pirates experience for me. It just seemed to be too much of the same stuff over and over, and there is no real story line to speak of. You find your long lost sister, now find your Aunt. Then , get the man that "Wronged" your family. Done that? Well, do it again. Each story line last only a few moments, and then it is repeated.

Now that Pirates is finished, I have moved onto Heroes of Might and Magic 5, and I was a big fan of all the originals in this series. The campaigns, of which I am only 2 or 3 missions into, are a little frustrating at the minute because you can not build up any towns to the maximum, but once I am a little further into the game this will be rectified of course.

I'm enjoying the little tangent from my usual poker habit back to video games, for it has been ages since I was really absorbed by a game. Selling all my consoles probably ahs a lot to do with that, but that has allowed me to get back into PC games, of which there are many more quality titles especially for single player games. I've got the expansion pack for "The Movies" also, which allows a free roaming camera for the created movies – something that I was most disappointed was not in the original. Maybe the new flexibility will give the game an extra push like it should have been.

Yeah, I'll keep immersing myself in my video game basement until the cards turn my way again.

No comments: