Thursday, June 22, 2006

That Was My Mistake

J.D.: This, this isn't like being a janitor, okay! It's not just like something everybody can do.
Janitor: Oh. So you can do my stuff, but I can't do yours?
J.D.: Yes!
Janitor : Okay, hotshot, what would you use to get a coffee stain up off a tile floor?
J.D.: I don't know... the... rough side of a sponge?
Janitor: Dammit.
"Scrubs"


I made another major mistake last night, one that I have warned myself about multiple times before but for some reason I keep doing it.

You know the feeling you get when you've had a good night at the tables and you wonder when you should leave? You do the calculation on how much you are up and look at what that means for your bank roll, and decide you'll play just this next orbit, or another $5 to make that profit into three figures.

Yeah, I've noticed when ever I do something like that, shit usually hits the fan really quickly.

Playing $1/$2 limit last night, I was having an unusually good night and my online bankroll was loving me for it. I checked my raked hands requirements (still a whore) and calculated the total profit for the night, which was pretty good all things considered. But I was just $4 shy of a clean $100 profit, so I decided to get to that mark and then call ti quits for the night. Of course, my opponents caught every gut shot they chased and in the space of one orbit, my nightly profit was more than halved. It's uncanny how often that has happened lately.

I am feeling that I am not giving my opponents enough credit, which is a result of playing NL poker for the majority of the time and then switching to limit where bluffing is probably less prevalent. I am not getting my big hands paid off nearly as much as I would like, but then again I guess that a story that many players could tell. I did manage to hit a Queen high straight flush, but unfortunately the only other player with a hand was two pair and he was not going to raise back at me so the pot was smaller than it could have been.

I've hit a few cards here and there which has helped, and I knew the bad run would have to come to an end sooner or later. It's always nice when good hands come along. Poker is much easier to play when you are getting good cards, funnily enough.

EDIT A few moments after penning this, I hit an aweful run of cards. Any profits I had are now in the negative coloumn well and truly. Fickle beast.

No comments: