Monday, March 07, 2005

Milestones

Fred: Well why don't we harpoon Charles straight through the head, drag him back to the apartment, and hit him with a hammer until he agrees to come back?
Elizabeth: Harpoon him through the head. That won't work Fred.
Fred: Why not? How many times have you tried it?
”Drop Dead Fred”

I have had one of the biggest poker weekends ever, beginning on Friday night. Here is a quick summary of some play:

Omaha $1/$2 – First table, only played 4 hands before the table broke. I was up $35BB. Even on one hand where I had the nut straight, I was re-raised on the river. Ok, I know whats happening here, get ready for a split pot. I thought about just calling to save on the rake (a whole $0.20 at best) but thought I better test him anyway. Well, he didn’t just call my 3-bet, he capped it. Ok, definitely a split pot. I call, show my nut straight and he mucks. WTF?

Friday Night/ Saturday – 8 x $10 SNG:
1st = 2
2nd = 3
3rd = 2
7th = 1
Profit = $122

1 x $5 3-Table SNG – Simply amazing. I made it down to the last 16 with about an average stack. Dealt QQ, stole the blinds. Next hand, AA – took out another average stack and also took a chunk out of first place. Next hand TT, took out the former first place and another short stack. Next hand, QQ, stole the blinds and somebody who re-raised in front of me, as well as the shortest stack who was all-in on the big blind. It’s one thing to have a great rush of cards, it’s another to have them all get paid off. At the final table it was me with a stack of $12,000, second place was $2,000. It took a while, and I did loose my lead (even was 4th out of 4 at one stage), but I came back to take first place and the $45.

$20 MTT - hey, if I'm on a run, I may as well make the most of it, right? Out of the 490 entries, I beat about 70 or so of them. Nice try.

$25NL – Cleared a few hundred hands off the bonus, and made a modest $20 profit or so.

I was also able to finish the deposit bonus I had. It’s funny, in the great run I have had over the past 2 weeks, I noticed that I didn’t have the Rockets once, and The cowboys maybe twice. Hiltons however, they were everywhere. On Friday and Saturday night I had pocket Aces 8 times, and they were only beaten once (by Kings). Even in one SNG I took out 3 players with AA all-in pre-flop (vs KK, AK and 55 – four diamonds came on the board giving me the nut-flush). I managed to nearly double my bank roll, and passed firstly $1000 Australian, and before long US$1000, peaking at US$1060. Damn I felt proud.

And my day of reckoning finally came. Sunday, which I have noticed is usually my best poker day – but not this Sunday. It was horrible. At $1/$2 Omaha I was runner-runnered 8 times. Brutal, just brutal – and seven of those times were from one player. I would flop a full house, he would draw from one pair to two pair to a bigger full house by the river. I even had the nut-flush go bad when a fourth spade came on the turn putting out a possible straight-flush. I was proud of myself though that I recognised the possibility of a SF, and never tried to re-raise (I did call it through though, I just had to). I also finished out of the money in 3 out of 4 SNG, and only one of those was a 4th. In that game, I had TT 3 times, and lost by putting a smaller stack all in each time (lost to AA, J9 and AQ). Eventually I went out when 99 got beaten by KQ. I thought even just one coin flip would go my way, but not to be.

So I made one of my milestones that I thought I never would. It was a great run, and I will have to see what I can do with it. I am still unsure if it was just a 2 week run of cards or if I am actually learning something. Who knows? What I do know is I have a check coming for me in the amount of $550 US dollars which will go a long way towards a honeymoon in October.

No comments: