Tuesday, January 03, 2006

2006

Maverick: This is what I call a target rich environment.
Goose: You live your life between your legs Mav.
Maverick: Goose, even you could get laid in a place like this.
Goose: Hell, I'd be happy to just find a girl that would talk dirty to me.
”Top Gun”

Happy New Year to one and all, I hope the hang overs have left you.

I’m not really a huge new years eve party fan for some reason. I think a string of unfortunate events have left a sour taste in my mouth. It was about four years in a row where something went wrong – I was working, spent the night in the emergency ward because I was sick before a drop of alcohol had passed my lips, spent new years day in an emergency ward because my distraction broke her ankle after many drops of alcohol passed her lips, just things like that.

This year however was pretty good. A friend had access to his office building for the night, which over looks Circular Quay here in Sydney. We had perfect views of the Harbour Bridge and the Opera House, as well as the fireworks for the night from one of the 31st floor boardrooms. Most importantly, it was air-conditioned!

We got into the city and out without much hassle, which was a big relief. The only downer for the night was I broke my backpack on the way in, and it had to be thrown out the next day. Such is life.

I haven’t played a hand of poker in the new year as yet, due to we are in the process of upgrading our home internet package. The new connection was supposed to be on a week ago, but as with everything these days, there was a fuck up somewhere and it isn’t working. The tech guys on the phone were useless – “Is the power cord plugged in properly?” was about as technical as they got. So they send a guy out to make a call between 1pm and 5pm. I get home before 1pm, and at 5.05pm call them up to find out why I am still lonely.

The tech support guy tells me the rep has logged that he was there at 1.30pm, and nobody was home.

Hmm, that sounds a little funny – because even if I wasn’t home, there was no call on the home phone (or the answering machine) and there was no call to the mobile phone (or message bank). I was not impressed.

Now I have to try to get another half day off work to be home tomorrow so the tech rep can come sometime between 8am and 1pm. Great, just great. I did complain, and they offered me 1 free month dial up internet access. Which would be great, if I had a dial up modem. Actually, it wouldn’t be great – it would suck because I paid for broadband fucking access.

Great start to this customer relationship let me tell you.

Before this little fiasco, I was playing a little online. Since my entire bankroll is now around the $20 mark, I am limited to the games I can play. I have been mostly in the $2 SNG games, just trying to squeeze an extra dollar or two. No wins as yet, but some placings out of 12 and 20 runners. In one game, I tripled up on the 5th hand with AA vs KK and KK. Nice way to start a game!

Around this time of year, most people start posting their goals for the year. Sadly, I really don’t think I have any. I am really just trying to get my bankroll back to where it once was, more so I can play in more live games than last year.

I am going to set aside an actual live bankroll so I can keep track of how I am travelling. Financial reasons may prevent me from growing this properly though, but I will try my best.

1 comment:

ilico said...

So..any chance you are with Bigpond? They sux. I'm with internode, very technical and very good service. No issues, connection is great...and work pays for my 1.5Mbs/512K 30GB line...lovely.